URGENT: Help rush life-saving aid to earthquake survivors in Nepal DONATE
Shahanara is one of over 9 million people in Bangladesh who lost their homes and livelihoods in the worst flooods in living memory. Thousands were killed when intense rains, swelling rivers and high tides washed away entire villages. Here she explains how her life has been affected:
"I have lost my house four times due to this flood. Each year the flood the takes my house I have to take shelter in the school. Two years back my house was raised but this year flood has destroyed my home again.
"My husband used to work in the fields. Now he does not have any job. I even used to work during the harvest season to earn money and help my family, but this year we have no jobs.
"I had two goats but they have died. With these goats I used to earn some money, but I don't even have that anymore.
“Where we will go for work, this year no crops have grown. Neither my husband nor I can work in the field.
"The water level is rising. I have raised my home and my husband is trying to work in the market. What else can we do. We have no option now".
Take action against climate change now!
- Help us ensure our leaders feel the heat by completing our online climate change petition here.
- Watch the Sisters on the Planet videos and be inspired by women who are leading the response to the climate crisis in their communities.
- Check out our Take Action page for more ideas on how you can contribute to reducing climate change.
Find out more
- Learn how climate change affects the entire global economy.
- Countdown to Copenhagen: Find out about the 2009 UN Climate Change Conference.