The New Zealand city of Christchurch has made a massive commitment to Oxfam’s Water for Survival work by aiming to raise $60,000 for the Bougainville programme. This is a significant target and will make an invaluable difference in the provision of access to safe water for 15 rural villages in Bougainville.
Safe water and sanitation in Bougainville
Currently, most people in Bougainville live in rural areas and very few have a safe, secure water supply. Instead, many rely on streams that are contaminated with human and animal waste. This means that children suffer from water-borne diseases and cases of severe diarrhoea are common.
The Bougainville team loads a truck with water tanks and materials ready to deliver water systems to rural communities. Photo: Andy Thomson/Oxfam
The Christchurch Pledge is helping Oxfam to:
- Support community-led construction of gravity-fed water systems and water tanks that will provide a safe water supply.
- Raise community awareness of unsafe sanitary practices and train community members to build and use latrines.
- Build the capacity of communities and local organisations to manage and maintain facilities and improved hygiene practices.
Christchurch is already underway with their fundraising efforts. Follow their progress by regularly checking the fundraising thermometre and give your support.
Who's already on board?
Individuals from the following organisations have already committed to support the Christchurch Pledge! We would like to take this opportunity to thank them for taking the lead.
Find out more
For more information on donating to the Christchurch Pledge contact us on 0800 600 700 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download project information sheets here. (PDF 1.82 MB)
If you’d like to learn more about the Christchurch Pledge or if you’d like to get involved, please contact one of the Christchurch Champions:
- Ken Couling, Christchurch Water for Survival Committee, email@example.com
- Dave Wareham, Christchurch Water for Survival Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxfam would like to thank the city of Christchurch for their support; it is helping us to bring about lasting change for people in Bougainville.
In particular, we would like to thank the Christchurch Water for Survival committee for their ongoing support.
|The WFS committees in action|