Oxfam New Zealand is an independent, rights-based development agency, affiliated to Oxfam International. In a world rich in resources, we believe poverty is not inevitable. Working with partners and allies in the Pacific and South-east Asia regions, we support the achievement of human rights, challenge policies and structures that keep people in poverty, and help develop capabilities that are essential for poor and disadvantaged communities to access resources and take advantage of opportunities to improve their lives.
Currently we have a vacancy in our senior leadership team for a talented senior Director. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, you will actively contribute to the future strategic direction of ONZ and as Programme Director, will be responsible for providing the strategic vision, leadership and support for ONZ’s international programming activity. This encompasses all aspects of team management, capacity building and leadership of Oxfam’s Pacific programme, including management of Country Directors in the Pacific region.
A strategic thinker, inspirational leader, skilled senior manager and capacity builder, you will have extensive experience of leading strategy development and of delivering innovative and effective international development programmes.You will also have:
- A good understanding of leading practice in community development, including approaches that incorporate a gender rights perspective,
- A strong grasp of regional and global development issues, preferably with good understanding of those affecting the Pacific region specifically,
- Experience of rights-based approaches and of developing integrated programmes that include long term development, advocacy and humanitarian components,
- Experience of effectively leading and managing multi-disciplinary, culturally diverse and geographically dispersed teams,
- Experience of programme quality assurance, including impact assessment; participatory appraisal, monitoring and evaluation methodologies; and reflection and learning processes,
- Skills and experience of building and maintaining effective networks and relationships with multiple stakeholders internationally, including partner organisations,
- High level experience of financial management, proposal development, institutional fundraising and donor reporting,
- A graduate or masters degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent commensurate experience.
Ideally, you will be available to start by early June 2013. For the right person, we offer the opportunity to further advance an already impressive career in international development and to make a real difference to those living in poverty. The post attracts a starting salary of NZ$105,800 per annum (and possibly more depending on skills and experience of the post holder).
- Download the full job description (Word doc)
To apply, please send a covering letter, outlining your relevant skills and experience under the header ‘Programme Director – your name’, and an up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close on 30 April 2013.
Oxfam New Zealand is an equal opportunities employer and encourages diversity in the workplace.