A unique opportunity to encourage actions that change destinies
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together for a future without poverty.
Around the globe, Oxfam works to find practical and innovative ways to help people lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. We respond to emergencies, saving lives and help people to rebuild their livelihoods. We also campaign to change unjust policies and structures that keep people in poverty and work to give the poor and marginalised a voice so they can influence local and global decisions that affect them.
The position of Advocacy and Campaigns (A&C) Director has a crucial role in making Oxfam’s vision a reality. Heading a small team of Wellington and Auckland based specialists, you will be responsible for delivering our strategic advocacy and campaigning objectives. This includes taking the lead in research and policy analysis that target key decision makers, including the New Zealand government; supporting the development of a Worldwide Influence Network (WIN) that will strengthen the ability of poor people, partners, supporters and the wider public to raise their voice against the injustice of poverty; and delivering an integrated advocacy and campaigns strategy that builds social movement and active participation in Oxfam’s advocacy and fundraising activities.
A strategic thinker, effective communicator, powerful advocate and passionate believer in the power of social change, you will also have:
- A strong policy background, which includes leading policy and/or advocacy & campaigning activities that have influenced government or corporate policy, preferably in New Zealand and/or the Pacific,
- Strong experience of research and policy analysis, preferably on issues relevant to Oxfam’s priority advocacy goals,
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing public campaigns that link research, advocacy/ policy change to public campaigning/community activism
- A good understanding of international development issues and of the cultural, economic, environmental and social context in New Zealand & the wider Pacific,
- An understanding of social movement theory, including social marketing,
- Experience and evidenced skills in debating, public speaking, media interviews and/or other face-to-face communications,
- Financial competence and the ability to effectively lead, manage, develop and motivate others,
- A demonstrated commitment to Oxfam’s values and mission.
This is a rare opportunity to work with one of New Zealand’s most respected charities, and gain job and personal satisfaction through your contribution to Oxfam’s life-giving work. The post is based in central Auckland and attracts a starting salary of circa. $95,000 per annum.
To apply, send your covering letter and a full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the header ‘A&C Director – your name”. Closing date for applications is 12 noon on Friday, September 26, 2014. Interviews are scheduled for Tuesday September 30.
We are an equal opportunities employer and support diversity in the workplace.