2 year full-time contract, Port Moresby
An exceptional international development role for a unique person
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together for a future without poverty. We work to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. We save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And we campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them.
We seek a dynamic Country Director to provide the vision and strategic direction for all of Oxfam’s work in PNG. This includes providing strategic leadership of the Oxfam country office and programme, and ensuring high quality, accountability and impact in working with communities, partners and other key stakeholders. The Country Director will also support the implementation of Oxfam’s 2020 Vision in PNG, to achieve a stronger Oxfam that is well-coordinated at the global level and relevant locally in PNG, and also support an increasingly independent Oxfam in the Pacific that is driven by local stakeholders and interests.
Our ideal candidate…
An effective leader, excellent communicator, strategic thinker and powerful advocate with strong ethical values, you will also have:
- Successful and significant senior leadership and management experience in the development and delivery of high quality development programmes, influencing and humanitarian strategy, with or through partners or directly, and in multiple challenging locations (including PNG, as a preference)
- Demonstrated ability to lead staff and programmes in complex cross functional and cross-cultural contexts, preferably on a long term basis in a developing country context
- Strong analytical skills and the ability think strategically, including thinking beyond a country programme context and acting within a regional and global framework
- Success in leading, supporting and empowering teams that may be geographically remote, with a commitment to promoting leadership amongst local staff
- Proven interpersonal, communication, advocacy and influencing skills and experience of representing the organization at a senior level - to donors, partners, government agencies, private sector organisations, civil society groups and the media, nationally and globally
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice, gender equity and good gender practice
- Demonstrated skills and experience in leading budget planning and monitoring, including the development of funding framework
We can offer you...
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- The opportunity to align your career aspirations with a compelling cause
- The opportunity to operate both globally and locally, with opportunities for further career progression and development
- The chance to work with passionate & committed work colleagues who are some of the best in their fields
- Download the full job description
- To apply, send an up to date CV and covering letter, outlining your relevant skills and experience, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications close: Friday, 23 January 2015
Appointment to this position will require a satisfactory medical, police check and Working with Children Check.
Oxfam New Zealand is an equal opportunities employer. We promote diversity and practice equity in the workplace.