Our funds come from generous donations and government funding.
Thank you for being a part of Oxfam’s global movement to end the injustice of poverty. Our work happens because of your generosity. We are grateful to all those who continue to support Oxfam –our financial supporters, volunteers, interns, campaigners and corporate sponsors.
With your ongoing support, we are confident Oxfam will continue to strengthen and that our work will be more effective than ever in reducing poverty and injustice.
How the funds are used:
In New Zealand, 91% of the money Oxfam raises goes towards funding vital programmes, advocacy and campaigns and investing in raising money and awareness. The remaining 9% is used for essential running costs that are vital to our mission, like systems for managing donations appropriately, auditing, health and safety, insurance, technology, data security, and accountability fees.
Our commitment to you is that your support goes to where the greatest need is. We are committed to using resources with wisdom and care.
Why do some funds need to be used for admin?
- You have the right to expect your donations to be professionally handled, your credit card details protected, the right receipt issued and your address details kept confidential. This requires up-to-date software, trained and qualified staff and a high standard of IT and security systems. We are committed to the highest possible standards for you.
- You would also expect us to protect the safety of our staff, as a human rights-based organisation, we don’t expect anything less. This has a cost in insurance, health and safety systems, training, and in security services when they are travelling to dangerous places overseas.
- You also expect us to know whether the donations you have given us are making the difference you and Oxfam expect. We do not take this for granted. Quality and accountability are fundamental to what we do. We check that your donations are going to the partners we have chosen, are having the local impact we planned together and that we are constantly learning from our projects so we can improve. This means we have trained and qualified experts whose job it is to make sure we are not just ‘putting the money in an envelope and sending it overseas’ – we know you trust us to do better than that.
- You have the right to hear how your support is making a difference, and rightly expect us not to take the money and disappear. You have told us you like to hear what your money is achieving on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. You also appreciate our e-newsletters. This is an investment in your support for our work!
- Investing in growing the numbers of people who believe in a world without poverty and support our work means maintaining and growing the support and impact we have, all around the world. For every $1 spent on raising more funds, we get almost double that back – so it’s money well spent.
Costs that fall under fundraising and admin include:
- Credit card processing fees
- Technology to process and receipt donations securely
- Bank fees
- Audit and transparency fees
- Legal costs
- Salaries for admin support staff
- Telecommunications and computer equipment
- Office rent and maintenance costs
Charities Commission number CC24641 and current member of:
- Council for International Development
- Fundraising Institute of New Zealand (FINZ)
- Public Regulatory of Fundraising Association (PRFA)
Our full audited accounts for each year can be found on the Charities Services website.