Oxfam's campaign for a future where everyone on the planet has enough to eat, always.
We have now submitted this petition, along with other Oxfam affiliates worldwide, to the World Bank so the petition is no longer available to be signed. The text of the petition is provided below.
Big land deals are tearing whole communities apart, leaving people hungry and homeless. It’s big business at a big cost. But the World Bank has the power to be a force for good.
- Factors like rising food prices and a demand for new fuels have caused a huge rush of big land deals
- Already, an area of land the size of Auckland is being sold to foreign investors every four days in poor countries
- Poor families are losing the land they rely on to grow food – often evicted without fair treatment or compensation
The World Bank funds many big land deals. It also influences how land is bought and sold. So this means it has the power to help get the situation back under control.
Big land deals are forcing poor people from their homes, jobs and food. This injustice must stop now before any more lives are ruined.
Find out more
- This action is part of Oxfam's GROW campaign. To find out more about GROW and other ways to take part in the campaign please visit oxfam.org.nz/GROW
- Read our report, Our land, our lives: Time out on the global land rush